Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Oscar Worthy


In preparation for my annual Oscar party this year I've been viewing as many of the major nominated films that I can before the show on February 26. During the last 2 weeks I've seen 4 excellent movies, My Week with Marilyn, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Hugo and The Artist.

Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn was extraordinary. Williams was a rather unconventional choice as Marilyn, Williams is tiny and although they dress her to play up her assets I don't think she looks much like Monroe. What she does have is Marilyn's movements, her luminescence and her sex appeal. You simply cannot take your eyes off her. She's plays her as a childlike woman, very lost and sad but very wise to her role as a sex symbol. Williams has my vote for Best Actress.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, it's quite a ride. Rooney Mara has a well deserved nod for Best Actress, she is fantastic in the movie and my second vote for this category. And what a cast, Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgard...and no, believe it or not, I have NOT read the book. I know I know, it's on my list especially after seeing the film.

Hugo. What a magical movie. Martin Scorsese has created an extraordinary film based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret about an orphan living within the Paris train station. The character of Isabelle with her love of books and her devotion to her friend Hugo is my favorite. I like many others assumed this was an animated children's movie, it's almost too beautifully filmed to be anything but animation. Run out and see this movie, today. Oh and it's in 3-D, when the snow falls in Paris its as if you are there. My vote for Best Picture.

The Artist. How to describe this charming movie. A silent film. Black and white. Funny, nostalgic, uplifting. It's wonderful. Set at the end of the 1920's when films were moving from silent to talkies. The costumes, the sets...a throwback to the days when movies were simple, the story was perfect and there is even a cute little dog who steals every scene he is in. Jean Dujardin has my vote for Best Actor.

I have a couple more weeks to see:
Moneyball
The Iron Lady
and one or 2 other films I didn't catch last year.

See you at the movies, or at my Oscar party!

No comments: