Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chatter Box


So I love AM radio. I got hooked back in the late 80's when I was on monthly weekend road trips looking at colleges. I drove throughout the Midwest and finally found the college I would attend in Southwest Ohio at Ohio University. During the years I was there I wasn't home much except during holidays, but the 6-7 hours each way from Chicago to Athens provided lots of radio time (this was before cars had CD players). Back then you could still find an occasional AM station in the middle of nowhere that was playing the audio of the days soap operas. I don't know how many times I drove across Route 70 in Indiana and Ohio listening to the drama on All My Children and General Hospital.
Chicago has some decent AM stations, I have on 720 and 780 daily in my car depending on the host. WGN 720 "The Voice of Chicago" is good, except the morning "Girlfriends" Kathy and Judy can be a little too female for me. 720 can be found here:
http://wgnradio.com/
My AM of choice is WBBM 780, "Chicago's Newsradio" which can be found here: http://www.wbbm780
.com/
I really like to just listen to the news, Pat Cassidy is my morning guy and Kris Kridel is the voice in the afternoon.
Back in college a girlfriend and I had a radio show on campus, we played dance tunes (Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure etc.), we were on in the middle of the night, mainly because my friend liked the boy who ran the station. I think my cheesy on-air radio name was Vivienne. LOL, nice hooker name AKA Pretty Woman.

No comments: