Monday, June 16, 2008

Giant Turtle Movie

Yup, 2 posts in 1 day. After 30 years I solved a mystery today.
This morning after a particularly vivid dream, the kind where you wake up and go, "Crap it was a dream", I starting wondering about other "dreams" I've had that haunt me. I've had this memory, I've always wondered if it was a movie or just a larger than life dream I had when I was a kid. All I remember was a giant turtle, a house on a cliff overlooking the sea and a girl. That's all I've remembered for years. Occasionally when it's popped up in my head I've done a half ass Internet search, I've even searched the IMDB with multiple search terms and found nothing. But today I did a Google search using boolean search terms including 1970's + giant turtle + cliff house and BAM I found a post from just last month by a guy on Amazon titled, The Giant Turtle Movie That's Been Haunting You. Seriously the posting was exactly what I had been looking for.
Sure enough there was a made for tv movie back in 1978 titled "The Bermuda Depths" and just like I remember, it's about a giant turtle, a house on a cliff and a girl. The weirdest thing is, this movie was only shown once in the US and it has haunted a generation of kids who saw it ever since. No kidding, read the Wikipedia entry about the legend of this movie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bermuda_Depths
Good to know I wasn't the only one who has been haunted by this movie for 30 years, hard to believe a movie I saw when I was 8 years old left such dream like memories.
Read this article about a guy's search for the film, who like myself, couldn't forget it.
http://www.dangerousuniverse.com/2000/opinion/bermuda-depths/index.asp
Wanna see a clip, check out this YouTube video or stop by my house, I just bought a bootlegged copy on DVD.

No comments: