Thursday, October 25, 2012

Vote

I voted today. This is the first election year that I have voted early since I was eligible to vote in 1988. The process was easier than I expected especially considering the length of the lines. As I waited I watched the crowd and was encouraged by what I saw. Cordial, patient voters who were anxious and proud to cast their vote...young women with children, spouses, people with mobility issues in wheelchairs who were handled with care by volunteers, older people with walkers, someone with an interpreter, Latinos and college kids.

Here is what I don't want to hear, "It doesn't matter if I vote, the election has been decided." or "I don't need to vote, my State is going to go to_____". Unfortunately I have heard that too often from young people, including my son. I am going to march him over to the local court house where he can still register and cast his vote through grace period registration.

Seriously, vote. Things DO change. My "cousin" Beatrice a young woman dear to my family who has been un-formally adopted by my Aunt and Uncle, was born in Mexico, arrived in the USA illegally, went to school and busted her ass to earn straight A's. She feared for her future but is finally allowed to stay in the USA, legally work and hopefully one day go to college because of the Obama administration's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program.  Beatrice no longer fears her future. Vote.

No comments: