Monday, December 27, 2010

Monday 5 List #10

So this is my final Monday 5 list of 2010. Thought it would be appropriate to list my favorites of the year. Enjoy and Happy New Year readers!

1.The "Bed Intruder Song". Funniest thing I watched all year. Every time I hear it I can't get, "Hide your kids, hide your wife" outta my head.


2. Travel. Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Florida, South Carolina, Colorado, France, Virgin Islands. Whether it was a weekend getaway or weeks of travel, wandering new and old but beloved locals were some of my favorite moments of the year.

3. The kindness of others. This was a difficult year for me personally. As my marriage was ending I turned to family and friends. Whether it was a neighbor who held my hand as I was preparing to move out of my marital home, a friend who made me dinner when I was too upset to eat or my Mom who flew in to Chicago to offer me moral support, I simply don't know how I would have coped without them. It's true you find out who your friends are in a time of crisis. Not only did my friends and family support me, they demonstrated classy and commendable compassion and support to my ex. There is a lesson there for certain family members of my ex.

4. Library patrons. I work in a small public library where I interact with patrons on a daily basis. I've witnessed compassion, laughter, love and sacrifice again and again within the library. One day it was the elderly couple who walked to the reference desk hand in hand, asked questions for the other and turned around and walked out of the library hand in hand. They never stopped touching each other. It brought tears to my eyes. Or the couple who brought their father to the library and asked for help with getting him on a plane or train to visit family for the holidays, no matter what the cost. And always my computer class patrons, the ones who attend each class every month and always remember to ask me about my son, my travels and my life. Sometimes they bring chocolate, oranges, little gifts of thanks. Touching and special each and every one of them.

5. Internet. The Internet allowed me to Skype with my darling niece 2000 miles away, call my son from Paris to say goodnight and reconnect with long lost friends. The "Internet connection" allows for connections that are truly a blessing.

No comments: