Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday 5-List #4

Here are the 5 most beloved books from my childhood.
I read these books over and over and still have my original copies.

1. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson.  The book that taught me how to create your own dreams.
2. Cars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard Scarry. Yes I still like to look for the Goldbug.

3.  Eloise at the Plaza by Kay Thompson. The beginning of my obsession with hotel lobbys and pets with strange names. Yup, this book is why my beagle is named Eloise.
4.  Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. "I cannot go to school today" said little Peggy Ann McKay. I still find inspiration from these whimsical poems.
5. Dear Dead Days by Charles Addams. WARNING:Not a book for little kids.  This book features odd Victorian era advertisements, strange pictures of children with dead things, scary animals and even some of his Addams Family cartoons. Each image was selected by Addams, the book was an inspirational scrapbook for the gothic cartoon genius. I enjoyed the macabre as a teen and this book is seriously dark humor.

2 comments:

aldo said...

Hey, I work with the CheapOair travel blog (cheapoair.typepad.com) and we're interested in having you guest blog for us. Please contact me if you're interested. Thanks! Aldo.

Pretty Zesty said...

I just loved Eloise growing up!!!