Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Flash Back #16

I was watching music videos on VH1 this morning while my kid was getting ready for school and was feeling young and chipper until I sat through videos by New Kids on the Block and Gavin Rossdale.
Back in the late 80's while in my first 2 years of college I was working at a grade school supervising the before and after school programs. In 1989 all the kids were obsessed with the New Kids. Their faces were on every lunch box, backpack etc. Horrible really. Then in the mid 90's with the British Invasion of bands like Oasis and Bush (Gavin Rossdale's former band) it was all about hard partying Brit musicians. I saw Bush back in 1995 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago and they were topping the charts with their album Sixteen Stone. So this morning I sat through new videos by New Kids and the now solo Gavin Rossdale (more famously known as Mr. Gwen Stefani) and seriously aged about a decade in 5 minutes. Rossdale is probably in his early 40's and the New Kids are in their late 30's and these once teen crushes are now nearly middle aged men! Funny that their videos are still aimed at young females with the New Kids video showing them in expensive suits picking up women half their age in a bar and Rossdale's video features him half naked through most of it either in a shower or a pool (I'm not complaining).
After closing my gaping mouth I turned off the TV and went upstairs to rub some anti wrinkle cream on my face.
Geez.....
Enjoy some vintage New Kids on the Block with their video for Hanging Tough.

No comments: