Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Power of a Photograph

So this morning on my way to a meeting, I stopped by the local Starbucks for my tea and while it was brewing picked up today's New York Times. The front page photograph was so moving I stood there and wept. The photograph shows a young couple holding their dead daughter, killed in her school during the China earthquake. Reading the article made me cry harder and I simply didn't know what to do. In a country of 1 child families many of the parents lost their only child. As a parent of an only child, this only devastated me more and I don't know what I or we as a country can do to help those suffering in China. Other reports and photographs of the devastation in Myanmar made me so sad, I just felt lost. My meeting was a gathering of a group of volunteer coordinators and I was presenting, somehow my suggestions on what we can do locally just seemed like a drop of water in a much larger ocean.

No comments: