Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Soup


I was feeling kinda puny yesterday after a long weekend of late night activities so my son and I made my favorite soup. With the awful Chicago winter kicking in and out of gear lately, we've been on a soup kick. Since I'm not much of a cook I enjoy one pot meals. Last week was Split Pea soup (vegetarian style) but for this post I am just posting my favorite:
Tuna, Tomato Bread Soup
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced and diced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
2 6 oz cans Italian tuna in olive oil, slightly drained
2 cups chicken stock (I use organic low sodium vegetable stock)
2 cups tomato sauce
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, do not drain
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 loaf of good Italian bread, torn or chopped
Parsley and grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese to top
Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium high. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic, red pepper flakes and bay leaf. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the tuna, breaking it up with a fork. Add the stock, tomato sauce and the diced tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat so the soup simmers for 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then remove from heat. Break up the bread pieces and add to the soup to thicken it. Remove the bay leaf. Serve the soup in bowls and top with parsley and grated cheese(sour cream is also a great topper)
ENJOY!
Recipe courtesy of Rachel Ray.

No comments: