Wednesday, September 5, 2012

It's Football Season

I live in a suburb near Chicago where high school football is a big deal. The local high school is where I graduated in the 1980's and also where my son graduated from last year. The football team has won multiple state championships in their division and the marching band has won so many national championships it's too hard to count. I live about 6 blocks away from the school and on Friday nights if the wind is right, I can hear the announcer calling plays, the marching band and the roar of the crowd during games.

Last Friday night I took a break from packing for my trip to the mountains to walk the dog. As we were walking down the street 2 boys about 17 years old passed me on bicycles and I heard their conversation:

Boy 1: "That was weird."
Boy 2: "Ya...I didn't know they moved in such large groups."

I wondered what they were talking about...coyotes, dogs, rabbits? And then I saw it...about a block behind the boys on the bikes. A group of about 30 teenage girls, all dressed exactly alike, cut off jean shorts, flips flops and white t-shirts that they had written SENIORS on. They were walking down the middle of the street, laughing and singing and obviously on their way to the game.

Yup, it's football season in the suburbs.

No comments: