Friday, May 13, 2011

When 1 Door Closes...


Another opens. Today is my last day at the wonderful Library where I have worked for the past 6 years. As I clean out my desk, hug colleagues who have become friends, get teary eyed saying goodbye to patrons and pack up the gifts, cards and trinkets staff have given me as a goodbye, I'm sad. It's been the best work experience of my life so far and I will miss it all.


So in wrapping up, here are a few of my favorite things:
  • The patrons. I've watched pregnant moms walk in, then later I've cooed at their newborns and finally applauded as those children got their first library card in kindergarten. It's been a pleasure to watch families in the Library. More importantly, it's validating that they USE the Library.
  • Being a reference librarian. Sure you get the impossible questions, "I need a book... I don't know the title or the author but it had a red cover." LOVED those questions.
  • Being a technology instructor. I made a difference in people's lives. I taught patrons how to set up an email account, how to surf the Internet, how to apply for jobs, how to connect with long lost family and friends. Absolutely the most rewarding part of my job. It was amazing to be a part of the process. My most recent favorite, helping a young couple who visited the library the week before Christmas last year. They arrived with an elderly man who was the young man's father. They were trying to get to Las Vegas for Christmas with their newborn and the older gentleman but couldn't fly and needed to either take the train or a bus. I showed them resources online and how to buy travel tickets, it took them a few days on the train but they got there. It was the man's last trip to see his family before he died.
  • Those you work with. What can I say...so many of my colleagues are cherished friends. That won't change.
  • The Unexpected. The car that drove through the Library windows. The car that drove into the front of the Library. The animals that wandered into the lobby. Rarely dull in a public library.
  • The learning. Someone has a question about a disease, you help them find the resources to research it. Someone needs tax forms, or permits or do-it-yourself legal documents. Every time you assist a patron you learn a little bit more.
Being a Librarian is the greatest job in the world. I'm sad to leave what's been a fantastic job but so excited to start anew at an exceptional Library.

Gotta wrap things up at work and then it's off to a local bar, my colleagues are giving me a proper send off. Good thing I can walk home if needed, I love a good celebration!

No comments: