Monday, December 29, 2008

Do you Skype?


A couple of years ago friends in the UK told me about the website Skype. I remember thinking "a website that allows you to make calls from your computer, how cool" and then promptly forgot about it. I've regularly used Yahoo instant messenger as my IM and video chat of choice but recently downloaded the free Skype software in order to video call my sister and new niece in Denver. All I can say is it's magic. I'm now a regular Skyper to my sister and other family members and am ready to toss my land line phone in the trash.
If you haven't used or seen Skype in action on Oprah or other tv shows then check out the website to see what a wonderful tool Skype is. You'll need a video camera (inexpensive at most retailers like Best Buy or Amazon and easily installed by plugging into a USB port) and a microphone (most are built into your computer or to the video camera) and you will need to set up a free Skype account and download the free software. That's it! The picture is so clear it's almost unbelievable and the sound quality is excellent.
During my recent Christmas trip to Florida my family Skyped my sister in Denver and enjoyed an evening of holiday tales and laughs with my sister and 2 month old niece, it was the next best thing to having them there with us.
http://www.skype.com/
If you want to add me as a Skype contact I'm under Shannon.Distel.Scanlan, Skype you soon!

No comments: