Monday, April 12, 2010

Favorite Reference Book


As part of my collection development duties at the library where I work, I order all print reference materials as well as large print, science fiction and fantasy. After new books are processed they are carted out to the reference desk so we can familiarize ourselves with the new titles. I love when the new books arrive, it's like Christmas morning. I uhhh and ahhh over the art books, drool over the cook books and always add a few titles to my list of "to-read" books on Goodreads.

My favorite reference book of the year arrived recently and I couldn't get my hands on it fast enough. Miller's Antiques Handbook & Price Guide 2010-2011 is an excellent resource for the antique collector on any budget. Miller's is well organized by section such as Textiles, Jewelry or Furniture with each item photographed in full color. Sections have special features with tips on value and pricing as well as bios on manufacturers, designers and time periods. The book is a visible treat whether you are a hard core collector or just interested in browsing.

I don't have the budget to seriously collect larger antique furniture or art work but in the past few years I've started small collections of rare books, jewelry and a few pieces of art. Thanks to my Grandmother who dragged me resale shopping when I was a teenager I am a lover of vintage clothing and jewelry and have supplemented my wardrobe for years with finds from resale shops around the US and Europe. Years ago I started buying on eBay and can often find some real treasures. Miller's has been an invaluable resource as I estimate what I can afford to pay and what an item might be worth. Highly recommended for any library and reader's interested in antiques and collectibles.

You can supplement your reading of Miller's Antiques handbook and Price Guide by visiting the website at: http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/

No comments: