Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Golf Season is Here! Books and Chicago Area Golf Courses.


March 1. Finally. Spring is almost here. And that means I can get back on the greens. Honestly it's been the longest winter in memory. Chicago weather broke all sorts of records this year, 3rd largest blizzard in the City's history, snowiest February in 126 years etc... As a life long Chicagoan, it was hard even for us hardy Midwesterners. One of the things that kept me going was looking forward to golf season. Now that the driving ranges and courses will be opening soon I have signed up for lessons, joined golf leagues and yes...I'm reading about golf. My library display this month at the Library is appropriately GOLF. Here is a sampling of the books I chose.

  • DK's Ultimate Golf Techniques
  • The Golf Masters Series Bunker Play by Gary Player
  • Golf Past 50 by David Chmiel Morris
  • Classic Instruction by Bobby Jones and Ben Crenshaw
  • The Complete Short Game by Ernie Els
  • A Good Swing is Hard to Find: How Women Can Play the Power Game by Helen Alfredsson
  • Golf Magazine's Complete Book of Golf Instruction
  • Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black by John Feinstein
  • The Rules of Golf in Plain English by Jeffrey Kuhn
  • Moments of Glory: The Year Underdogs Rules Golf by John Feinstein
  • The Seven Principles of Golf by Darrin Gee
  • Secrets of the Short Game by Phil Mickelson
  • Golf's Ultimate Eighteen by Steve Eubanks (A gorgeously photographed book)
  • Golf's Best-Kept Secrets: Awesome and Affordable Public Courses Anyone Can Play by Jeff Barr

For those in Illinois, the courses recommended in Golf's Best-Kept Secrets are:
Picture is of me on a golf course in Florida last year, I am pointing to a huge alligator that was napping in the sun near a water hazard. First time I ever golfed with a man eater before.

**If you are interested in golfing and live in the Chicago area drop me an email.

No comments: