Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Traveling and Eating Librarian


For the first time in as long as I can remember I have no airline tickets waiting to be used. Guess it's time to plan another trip. The last few years I've made a conscious effort to travel as often as possible...well as often as being a mother and working full time allows. My most recent travels have been a mini "library tour". However, my plans for the next few trips focus on experiencing local culture, with yes...stops at local libraries but also really enjoying and indulging in the food. Here are a few of the destinations I am exploring:
1. Spain and Portugal- I have the opportunity to return to Spain this fall and am enjoying reading and watching videos on one of my favorite countries. A few I particularly enjoy:
Jose Andre's Made in Spain I've seen every episode and LOVE the combination of travel blog and feasting plus Jose is one of the most endearing and goofy chefs on tv.
Spain...On the Road Again with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow as they travel throughout Spain and indulge in fabulous local fare with a variety of famous and non famous guests. Great ideas for regional Spanish cooking but you will get seriously sick of the camera focusing in on Gwyneth while she eats and oohs and ahhs over the food. Still worth a watch.
2. Chile- A food paradise, crab, eel, sea bass, clams, strong espresso and lomitos (sandwiches). For a great overview of Chile check out No Reservations with the delicious Anthony Bourdain.
3. The Southern US- A region of the US I have spent a lot of time living in, exploring and drinking in. It's time to go back. After the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil came out I was OBSESSED with everything Savannah. I took a couple of trips down there in the 90's and I'm ready to explore a bit more of the delights of the area as well as the low country, specifically Charleston South Carolina. I'm planning this trip for spring of 2010 with my Mom and sister and have been reading and watching the heart attack cook herself Paula Deen. The woman loves butter but I'm hoping to swim my way through the seafood of the South with little but the water it's broiled in, lots of lemon and cold beer.
Time to start checking airfares...

No comments: