Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday 5 List #28-Summer Closet Essentials

It's that time of year when I switch out my closets from winter to summer clothes, shoes and accessories. The temperature in Chicago is expected to be near 85 degrees tomorrow, summer is almost here. So as many of us take our winter coats and sweaters to the cleaners before we store them away, I thought I would create a Monday 5, My Closet Essentials for Summer.
  1. Tom's Shoes. I have a grey pair of the classics that I've worn until you can see one of my toes. I love these shoes. They are comfortable, easy to wear and perfect to stuff in a bag or suitcase when traveling. Especially great when you've been in high heel sandals all day and your feet need a break. Average cost per pair is $55. 
  2. Blazer. Not the shoulder pad blazers from the 80's but a classic cut and style. I have a J Crew 3 button navy blazer that I absolutely live in. I travel with it, wear it to business meetings, dress up a pair of cuffed jeans and t-shirt or dress down a formal dress with it. Average price for a classic good quality blazer is approximately $150-$200 (J Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor) but I found mine at a resale store for a few dollars and it's in near perfect condition. For summer I also have a white J Crew blazer.
  3. Tank Tops and T-Shirts. Nice silk ones, silly ones picked up when traveling, tanks made from t-shirts, I have many. They are comfy, go with everything and they are perfect under a blazer, light jacket or sweater. Average price $25 at stores like Ann Taylor although I favor sweatshop free soft cotton t-shirts from American Apparel
  4. Dresses. I have a few go-to dresses for summer. Wrap dresses, LBD, print dresses and comfy ones for wandering Chicago street fairs in. Average price $40. 
  5. High Heels. I have more high heels than I care to admit, and many of them are neutral sandals for summer. My favorites are Franco Sarto, Steve Madden, Anne Klein, and BCB. You can't go wrong with a high heel with jeans, cigarette pants or a pencil skirt. Average price $60. 
Whatever your summer essentials are, I hope you are as excited about summer as I am, it's been a long winter in Chicago. 

No comments: