Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday List #13


During the last 9 months I have been cooking for 2 (my son and I) instead of 3 (my son, husband and I). While I've found it harder to adapt recipes for only 2 people I have found it more fun to cook. My son will eat almost anything and at almost 18 years old, 6'6 and 200 pounds he finishes everything on his plate and any leftovers. A clean plate after "Is there any more?" is the best compliment when I cook.

When we moved last summer we left a large home for a much smaller and temporary home with a tiny kitchen. It's been an easy transition as my small kitchen is much better layed out and with updated appliances. It is heaven to have a stove that fits a large cookie sheet and is big enough to cook a turkey, something my antiquated former kitchen appliances could not do. And for the first time in 5 years I have a microwave again. I really didn't miss it but it is great when you need to defrost in a hurry.

So for today's Monday list, here are 5 recipes my Kid asks for repeatedly. Mind you, are few of these recipes are not the healthiest, but considering the vegetarian, organic, sustainable, home grown goodness I usually force feed him, I indulge him once in awhile.
  1. Polenta Pizzas (The original recipe as linked is from Whole Foods and includes pepperoni. I omit the meat as I'm a vegetarian. I also use my homemade marinara sauce instead of sauce from a jar)
  2. Fish with Miso Sauce (I saw Gwyneth Paltrow make this on Oprah years ago and have been making it regularly ever since. It's fantastic! I normally use fresh white fish instead of flounder which she uses in the recipe. Tilapia is terrific. You can buy mirin and miso paste at Whole Foods, specialty grocery stores or your local Asian market)
  3. Baked Corn Casserole (My Mom made this for Christmas dinner, it's not a main dish but a great side and so easy. My Kid loves it.)
  4. Ramen Noodle Salad (Nope, not the healthiest salad but the one salad that everyone asks for when I host a party. I usually go light on the Ramen seasonings and often brown the dry noodles, seeds and almonds in butter before I add them)
  5. Spaghetti with Artichoke Hearts and Tomatoes (From the infamous Pioneer Woman, I am a devotee of her website and recipes. This is delicious but NOT low calorie. I substitute fresh cherry tomatoes from my garden during summer over the canned tomatoes in the recipe. I also eliminate the chicken broth. This recipe is easy to adapt)
Here are a few older posts on cooking and cookbook reviews:

No comments: