Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sicko

I just finished watching Michael Moore's controversial documentary about the US health care system Sicko. The film received a 20 minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival and was nominated for an Academy Award in 2007 and for good reason. It's everything a documentary should be. At times I was laughing hysterically (sexy Hillary), crying (families denied medical treatments) and pissed off (patients who can't pay their hospital bills getting forced into cabs and dropped off at homeless shelters). Is everything in the documentary absolute? I doubt it. Is is appalling, shocking, upsetting and just sad that anything in this film is accurate? Absolutely. At times I was so angry at what I was watching that I wanted to grab my family and my passport and move to France or England. But then I also wanted to pick up the phone and call every Senator in my state and find out who is in the pockets of the insurance companies.
Watch it. Get angry. Try and protect yourself and your family from the health care system. Before I went to bed last night I made sure my life insurance policies were in order and fell asleep thankful I do have insurance with a respected PPO (fingers crossed).
http://www.michaelmoore.com/sicko/dvd/

No comments: