Friday, February 15, 2008

Got Book?

So after years of sporadic writing on my first book, I joined a writing group that meets twice a month. My first meeting was Wednesday night and I think the group will be helpful with my procrastination on getting my ideas down on paper. My book is a young adult novel that I started a few years ago when the main character literally popped fully formed into my mind. I wrote the first couple of chapters with ease, setting up my main characters, the location and the conflict she will wrestle with. I have a general outline as well as ideas for additional adventures featuring my main characters that I plan to incorporate into a series of books. After my first writing group meeting, I am confident that with the opportunities to read my work to the other members, as well as receiving feedback and criticisms, they will help keep me on track. While I didn't read my first 2 chapters on Wednesday, I plan on reading at our next meeting. One of the authors involved recommended the book Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go by Les Edgerton which I just started reading.

No comments: